Sam Churchill shares a long list of issues with the project
Editor’s note: Opinions expressed in this letter to the editor are those of the author alone and do not reflect the editorial position of ClarkCountyToday.com
As a Hayden Island resident, I have concerns about the proposed Interstate Bridge replacement.
- The Interstate Bridge Replacement Plan doesn’t yet know what the design is.
- The cost estimate is inaccurate. How much more than $3.5B-$5B WILL it cost?
- The Vancouver ramps (in sandy soil) would be the steepest in the country (6.7%). Dangerous. A lawsuit.
- The 3.9% incline of the bridge slows trucks by 20 mph, causing congestion. The 3.9% descent causes accidents when wet.
- Coast Guard requires 178 ft of clearance. NOT 116 ft.
- Bridge pylon rebar must go down 350 ft to hit solid ground.
- Is the license plate database sold? To whom?
- Architectural projects now provide photo-realistic rendering, often with full motion simulation. The WSDOT/ODOT drawings are inaccurate and frankly laughable. For example, light rail lacks ANY overhead catenary power infrastructure.
- Max train can offer NO Express service. Too many stops. Slow and inconvenient.
- The Bridge toll kills Hayden Island’s Mall.
- Manheim’s Car auction will close, taking dozens of local businesses with it.
- What reparations for loss of Mall, businesses, housing, pollution, noise, tolls, property values.
- How is Hayden Island’s large Latino and minority population served?
One bridge option is NOT an option.
- A lift or bascule bridge solves the height problem.
- An immersed tunnel solves the ramp safety violations.
- A tunnel for mass transit (a la Musk or other) is cheaper and safer.
In conclusion, the IBR project appears to violate basic safety considerations with ramps that are too steep and a height that slows traffic.
The bulk of the budget is spent “fixing” the raised highway problem, north and south of the bridge. Not the bridge. It destroys the economic vitality of Hayden Island and its future.
The height of the bridge is the main problem. That could be solved with a lift bridge or an immersed tunnel.
Hayden Island resident
- Opinion: State’s income tax windfall isn’t needed – public schools have plenty of moneyLiv Finne states that in Washington, ‘fully funding the schools’ means funding the interests of powerful unions, bureaucracies, and feeding ever-growing amounts of tax money into an increasingly unpopular monopoly system.
- Opinion: The debt-limit deal is a bust!Speaker Kevin McCarthy criticized for selling out conservatives in debt-ceiling deal and failing to include spending cuts, prompting calls for Republicans to vote against the Biden/McCarthy agreement.
- Opinion: Ecology quietly scrubs the gas price impactsTodd Myers believes the governor and Ecology staff have chosen to play politics, blaming everyone else for the impact of their policies on Washington’s residents and economy.
- Opinion: Why today’s elites literally can’t stand free speechOpinion: Why today’s elites literally can’t stand free speech. David Kupelian gets to the root of today’s all-out war on the First Amendment.
- Opinion: WA Cares is a regressive tax, hurting low-income workersElizabeth Hovde shares an opinion piece stating ‘The regressivity within this state-imposed program is one of the easiest reasons to be against the 2019 long-term-care law.’
God Love you Sam Churchill!
Our bureau-Crats are ad nauseum at this point regarding the infamous discussion lagging, money grabbing, obviously NO intention of solving this; Columbia River Crossing Enigma!
It is ALL so laughable for any of us who have been following this for how many years now?
OMG! The $Millions that have been given by government to OR & WA, for this project, spent by totally indigent politicians, the leftover $$$ called back in by the government, passed back to the government, and now back again? This has got to be the LAUGHING STOCK of the Decade!!!
I rest my case. AGAIN. (There are SO MANY Cases)
P.S. ANY one who talks about the $$$ or Expenses we need for ALL the necessary projects paramount to our infrastructure, and sustainability in OUR Homeland, need take a look at the BILLIONS being sent to fight a ‘Proxy War’ in Ukraine!
Wake up people. The corruption that is going on, is certainly NOT Sustainable!