Family has gathered for 70 consecutive years at same location
The Kangas Family Reunion will take place on Sat., Aug. 18 at Lewisville Park in Battle Ground in the Juniper Section. This year marks the 70th consecutive year for the event.
Members of this long-time Clark County Finnish family will be coming from around the United States to attend. The first and second generations are no longer alive, but most of the third generation (first cousins) will be attending with their families (fourth, fifth & sixth generations.)
The first Kangas Family Reunion with all siblings in attendance was held in July 1948 at Lewisville Park.
Helen Elizabeth Kangas Berggren was the first to come to Clark County in 1925 with her brothers and father eventually all following from North Dakota and Minnesota by the 1940s. About 40 percent of the extended family still lives in this area today.
The 11 siblings (second generation) all attended the first reunion in 1948. They included:
- Helen Elizabeth Kangas Berggren (1901-1994)
- Alfred Leonard Kangers (1903-1973)
- Eino Mathias Kangas (1904-1989)
- William Arthur (Bill) Kangas (1907-1987)
- Elmer Edwin Kangas (1909-1995)
- Aldrich Emil (Al) Kangas (1911-1972)
- Andrew L (Andy) Kangas (1913-1995)
- Arnold Warner Kangas (1915-1995)
- Charles Willard (Charlie) Kangas (1917-1960)
- Raymond Louis Kangas (1919-2000)
- Reuben Everett Kangas (1919-1989)
The third generation included over 40 first cousins.