Anna Miller: ‘Clark County residents please don’t let the mayor of Vancouver; the Chair of the County Council and the C-TRAN Board bring their choo-choo into Vancouver’
Editor’s note: Opinions expressed in this letter to the editor are those of the author alone and may not reflect the editorial position of ClarkCountyToday.com
It’s one of those moments where “boondoggle” doesn’t even feel strong enough.

The Trump administration officially revoked $4 billion in federal funding for California’s high-speed rail project citing years of delays, cost overruns, and unmet milestones. The original vision, an 800-mile system connecting San Francisco to Los Angeles and beyond, has been whittled down to a 171-mile stretch between Merced and Bakersfield, with zero miles of high-speed track laid after more than a decade. The only thing high-speed about this project is the speed at which California taxpayer’s money is being flushed.
The project’s estimated cost has ballooned from $33 billion to $128 billion, and the completion date has slipped to 2033 at the earliest. Trump called it the “high-speed train to nowhere.” California Governor Gavin Newsom is fired up that the money spigot for this pet project has been turned off. They did what they always do when they can’t keep bleeding the citizens dry, they file a lawsuit to get the money spigot turned back on.
Meanwhile, the state says it’s entering the track-laying phase and has created over 15,000 jobs so far. Wow, just wow.
Clark County residents please don’t let the mayor of Vancouver; the Chair of the County Council and the C-TRAN Board bring their choo-choo into Vancouver. Light rail is a debt bomb that just keeps going off!
Anna Miller
Camas
Also read:
- Letter: ‘The intent of the proposed County Council resolution appears to be a general condemnation of our federal immigration enforcement officers’Washougal resident Mike Johnson criticizes a proposed Clark County Council resolution regarding federal immigration enforcement in this letter to the editor.
- Opinion: Ecology’s war on private wellsNancy Churchill argues a Department of Ecology lawsuit and related legislation threaten long-held private well water rights across Washington state.
- Letter: After ignoring the students, Ridgefield School District outed themRob Anderson and a concerned Ridgefield parent allege Ridgefield School District repeatedly failed to redact student names in public records releases tied to a cheer coach investigation.
- Opinion: Democrats signal retreat on the death tax as exodus fears mountMark Harmsworth argues recent moves on estate and other tax policies reflect mounting concerns about high earners and businesses leaving Washington state.
- Letter: ‘As a lifetime resident of Clark County I am disturbed regarding what I witnessed’Sally Snyder describes lewd conduct, threatening language, and safety concerns she says she witnessed at the Feb. 11 Clark County Council meeting.







