
Previously, participants were charged a fee of $500 to $700 to enter the program; the new flat fee of $50 reduces the cost by 90 percent or more
VANCOUVER – Effective Aug. 15, the City Attorney’s Office began offering participation in its criminal prosecution diversion program at a reduced price of $50 for qualified community members who have limited financial means.
“The City Attorney’s Office seeks opportunities to lawfully balance inequities that have long existed and repair imperfections in our systems,” said City Attorney Jonathan Young. “This equity-based change helps us avoid criminalizing individuals based on their inability to pay.”
Previously, participants were charged a fee of $500 to $700 to enter the program. The new flat fee of $50 reduces the cost by 90 percent or more and removes financial barriers that may have previously prevented participation based on an inability to pay.
For 20 years, the city has administered a prosecution diversion program that offers participants an alternative to traditional prosecution. If successfully completed, participants have pending criminal charges dismissed and avoid the consequences of a criminal conviction, including jail time and barriers to accessing education, housing and employment opportunities.
“The diversion program has succeeded in allowing thousands of first-time offenders with minimal criminal history an opportunity to avoid a criminal conviction by participating in treatment, staying crime free, and paying restitution owed to crime victims,” said Young.
Eligible community members are those who have previously qualified or could qualify for the services of a public defender. Individuals who need help determining eligibility for the program can contact Diversion Program Coordinator Debbie Lee at (360) 487-8508 or debbie.lee@cityofvancouver.us.
Information provided by city of Vancouver.
Also read:
- Opinion: Were Republican voters just sleeping during the August primary election?CCRP Chairman Matt Bumala says 60% of primary no-shows in the 17th and 18th districts were Republicans.
- High school football: New coach prepares for long-term success at Prairie High SchoolJames Young-Lewis, a Clark County native who graduated from Evergreen in 2009, became Prairie’s head coach in May after working as an assistant coach across various programs since 2015, joining Prairie’s staff in 2024.
- Cost to battle 20 wildfires in WA has topped $200MTwenty wildfires have cost Washington $207M in one month, more than two-thirds of what DNR spent all last fiscal year.
- Opinion: WA Cares’ launch showcased care WA Cares did not provideGov. Ferguson showcased a caregiving arrangement at the WA Cares launch that the program had not paid for a single day of.
- Former State Rep. Liz Pike provides update on husband Neil CahoonNeil Cahoon, a Camas resident, has undergone multiple surgeries including five on Aug. 15 after the Aug. 10 crash near La Center’s Daybreak Airport.
- Opinion: Portland’s War on Cars Part 4 – A smarter automobile strategy to end gridlockO’Toole argues fuel wasted in Portland-area congestion has sextupled since 1982, generating 250,000 tons of extra greenhouse gases annually.
- $1,000 first prize for Camas Plein Air Art Event honoring Marquita Call on Sept. 26Plein air artists compete Sept. 26 in Camas for $1,000 first prize honoring gallery founder Marquita Call.








