Update provided on Vancouver Police officer-involved shooting Nov. 26

Case has been forwarded to Prosecuting Attorney’s Office for review

The SW Washington Regional Independent Investigation Team has completed the investigation of the officer-involved shooting that occurred on Nov. 26 in east Vancouver.

The case has been forwarded to the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office for review.  The following brief summary of information was learned during the investigation:

• On Nov. 26 at 7:04 p.m., Vancouver Police responded to a disturbance call in the 2300 block of SE 177th Ave. in Vancouver.  The reporting party texted 9-1-1 that his 23-year-old son, Irving Diaz-Rodriguez, has mental health problems and “is out of control.”

• VPD officers met with the reporting party outside the home.  He stated he was fearful his son was going to hurt him or his mother.  Irving Diaz-Rodriguez was uncooperative with officers.  Officers learned his elderly grandmother was barricaded in her room inside the residence.

• Mobile Crisis Intervention responded and contacted Irving Diaz-Rodriguez who refused services.

• VPD Officers determined they had probable cause to arrest Irving Diaz-Rodriguez for Assault in the Fourth Degree – Domestic Violence; and Malicious Mischief– Domestic Violence in the Third Degree.

• Irving Diaz-Rodriguez refused to exit the residence and was observed yelling and swinging a bat inside the residence.

• VPD Detectives obtained a search warrant for the residence in order to arrest Irving Diaz-Rodriguez.  Irving Diaz-Rodriguez was informed of the search warrant, his arrest, and he was given verbal warnings about the possible use of force if he doesn’t comply.  He refused to exit the residence and threatened several of the officers.

• At 11:07 p.m., VPD officers entered the residence through the garage.  From the garage they observed Irving Diaz-Rodriguez inside the living room of the residence holding a metal baseball bat.

• Officers gave multiple commands to Irving Diaz-Rodriguez who did not comply.

• Officers deployed multiple 40mm Less Lethal impact projectiles at Irving Diaz-Rodriguez with little effect.

• Officers stated Irving Diaz-Rodriguez shut the door to the garage.  When they opened it, they observed Irving Diaz-Rodriguez moving towards the door swinging the baseball bat at officers in the garage. 

• Officer (Ryne) Briley stated the baseball bat nearly struck his head and he feared for his safety.  He stated the bat and the way Irving had been swinging it presented a weapon capable of deadly force.

• Officer Briley fired multiple times with his duty pistol. 

• Officers entered the residence and provided medical aid to Irving Diaz-Rodriguez including two chest seals and a tourniquet.

• Irving Diaz-Rodriguez was transported to a local hospital where he received treatment.

• Irving Diaz-Rodriguez provided a statement to investigators acknowledging that he refused to exit the house as police were instructing him and that he was told that he was under arrest.  He stated he had a baseball bat and struck the TV and wall.  He denied intentionally swinging the bat at officers but said he slipped when trying to close the door and the bat accidentally swung into the garage.

• Evidence at the scene indicated four gunshots occurred in the garage.  Evidence indicated multiple 40 mm less lethal rounds and a Taser had been deployed at the scene.  The garage was cluttered and based on the number of officers who had been present, any type of movement would have been restricted.  There was substantial damage inside the living room including a broken TV, damaged drywall, and broken fireplace brick.

The suspect, Irving Rodriguez, is in stable condition with non-life-threatening injuries.

No further information will be released by the Clark County Sheriff’s Office. 

Information provided by Clark County Sheriff’s Office.