Suspect in officer-involved shooting was pronounced dead after being transported to area hospital

Suspect shot by Vancouver Police officers still has not been identified

VANCOUVER — The suspect in Tuesday’s officer-involved shooting has died according to an update provided Wednesday by the Clark County Sheriff’s Office (CCSO).

The suspect has still not been identified.

An unidentified man was shot by Vancouver Police officers after an altercation Tuesday on NE Fourth Plain Blvd. in Vancouver. The man was later pronounced dead at an area hospital. Photo by Mike Schultz
An unidentified man was shot by Vancouver Police officers after an altercation Tuesday on NE Fourth Plain Blvd. in Vancouver. The man was later pronounced dead at an area hospital. Photo by Mike Schultz

“The suspect in (the) officer-involved shooting involving Vancouver Police officers was transported from the scene to an area hospital where he was pronounced deceased,’’ the CCSO statement reported. “His identity will be released following notification of next of kin. The Clark County Medical Examiner’s Office will be conducting an autopsy and determine (the) manner and cause of death.’’

Also on Wednesday, the city of Vancouver released statements from Mayor Anne McEnerny-Ogle, City Manager Eric Holmes and Vancouver Police Chief James McElvain.

“Many in our community have learned about the officer-involved shooting that took place yesterday morning in Vancouver,’’ McEnerny-Ogle said. “Several of our police officers responded to a disturbance involving two men involved in a physical fight resulting in police officers firing at one of the suspects. I, along with the entire City Council, understand how difficult an incident like this is for everyone involved and the impact it has on the entire community.

“We are saddened to learn of the news of the death of the suspect in yesterday’s incident,’’ McEnerny-Ogle added. “My heart goes out to the families and friends of the deceased, and to everyone in our community affected by this event. I, along with my fellow council members, want to express our deepest condolences.”

“Anytime something like this occurs in a community it is shocking and heartbreaking,’’ Holmes said. “On behalf of the city organization, I offer our deepest concern and compassion to all those involved. While we don’t know all the facts in the case yet, I have confidence in and look forward to the results of a thorough, impartial and independent investigation.” 

Chief McElvain confirmed an independent investigation will be conducted into the events that led to Tuesday’s shooting death.

“The investigation into the exact events that led to the outcome of yesterday’s officer-involved shooting will be conducted by the Regional Independent Investigative Team, entirely independent from the Vancouver Police Department as is required by Initiative 940 and SHB 1064,’’ Chief McElvain said. “We will await the results of that investigation so that all evidence is considered. We appreciate the community’s patience and understanding as we await the results of the investigation.”

Vancouver Police Department (VPD) deputies responded Tuesday at about 11:15 a.m. to a physical disturbance involving two males involved in a physical fight in the area of NE Stapleton Rd. and E. Fourth Plain Blvd. When officers arrived, they located one male unconscious on the ground. According to police reports, the other male refused police commands to drop sharpened objects he was holding. Three VPD officers then fired at the suspect. 

C-TRAN Communication and Public Affairs Manager Christine Selk told Clark County Today that a C-TRAN security official was dispatched to the scene prior to the altercation between the two men after a report of an intoxicated person at a bus stop at the location.

“When our security employee got there, that person ran across Fourth Plain and ran into the man who had the rebar and an altercation ensued,’’ Selk said. “Our security employee was still on the other side of Fourth Plain and saw this unfold and then called police.’’

Clark County Today will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.