Congressional candidate Heidi St. John responds to accusations in news report

Third Congressional District candidate addresses report in online news magazine, calling it ‘reprehensible behavior’

The battle for Washington’s 3rd Congressional District continues to intensify as online news magazine, Gateway Pundit, published a report last week critical of Congressional Candidate, Heidi St. John.

Congressional candidate Heidi St. John
Congressional candidate Heidi St. John

St. John, one of three conservative Republicans who have filed to challenge incumbent Congresswoman Jaime Herrera Beutler in the 2022 primary election, called the magazine’s June 3 report “false accusations’’ in a statement released Monday.

“I knew progressives would say ugly, hateful things about me and even make up outright lies and what America has come to recognize as ‘Fake News.’ What I didn’t count on was that other conservatives would engage in the same types of reprehensible behavior,’’ St. John said in the statement. “When asked recently on an Instagram ‘ask me anything’ question, ‘What makes you more qualified than a 20 year army vet and former Trump advisor?’ I answered, ‘Life experience. There are many ways to be a warrior for this country. I have been fighting on the front lines for freedom for a very long time. I have lived in the district longer than any of my opponents. I have a proven track record of starting businesses and standing for freedom.’”

St. John continued, “I chose to ‘get off the bench and onto the battlefield’ — a signature phrase I have used for over five years from Psalm 127:3, ‘Children are arrows in the hands of a warrior.’ It is a theme of my published books. I have fought for children and freedom for years, starting at the steps of the US Capitol more than 15 years ago. My life experience is relatable to the majority of the third district. Raising and homeschooling seven children while successfully founding and managing multiple small businesses that have served hundreds of 3rd District families over the past 20 years has indeed given me much life experience, and we all have a role to play in standing up for the rights and freedoms of every American.’’

Joe Kent and Wadi Yakhour are the other candidates challenging Herrera Beutler in the 3rd Congressional District. Kent is the Army veteran and former Trump advisor referred to in the Instragram question. When contacted by Clark County Today, Kent declined to weigh in on the controversy over St. John’s response.

“I am 100% focused on defeating JHB and exposing her betrayal of the values of this district on everything from impeachment to endless foreign wars, from the tech industry to the timber industry, from Antifa to Obamacare,’’ said Kent, who is scheduled to be a guest on .Tucker Carlson Tonight Show on FOX News Thursday (June 10) at 10 p.m.

The Gateway Pundit report also included accusations that two of St. John’s businesses have been “dissolved for failure to pay taxes.’’

“This was a simple oversight due to the fact that the state mailed the annual paperwork renewals to the wrong addresses for our contracted bookkeeper,’’ St. John said in her statement, also statins that as soon as the mistake was realized, the appropriate reports were filed and the businesses were “reinstated” in active standing.

“This paperwork has nothing to do with taxes,’’ St. John said. “I have never evaded taxes, filed bankruptcy, or been foreclosed upon. Today more than ever, I appreciate the extraordinary job President Trump did while being relentlessly battered with ‘Fake News’ and unfounded accusations from his political enemies on every side. We MUST do better if America is to remain the land of the free and the home of the brave.

“I welcome your support if you too believe it’s time to focus on the issues facing America and ignore the ‘Fake News’ and lies that seek to distract all of us from the enormous job that lies ahead of ‘Making America Great Again,’’’ St. John said. “It’s disappointing to see people I respect be willing to so quickly believe such things about me. The hundreds of thousands of people who follow me know that I am an open book and care deeply about truth and integrity in every area of my life. These attempts to destroy my character and undermine my effort to unseat Jaime Herrera Beutler do not deter me.’’

Those interested can keep up to date with St John’s candidacy can do so by listening to her weekly podcast “America’s Town Hall with Heidi St. John” and by connecting with the campaign at HeidiStJohnforCongress.com

Valerie Watson
Valerie Watson
8 days ago

So Heidi blames the employee for her failure to pay the *taxes* to keep her illegal business from being dissolved by the state?

Typical. If she had accepted responsibility, I would have respected her a little more.

But this doesn’t explain why TWO of her businesses were dissolved due to a failure to pay the tax.

Barbara Ketchum
Barbara Ketchum
8 days ago

Disappointed that Heidi started all of this by taking a cheap shot at Joe on Memorial Day of all days. As far as I know, Joe has never attacked Heidi and yet she picked that day to go after Joe.

And of course she’s lived in the district longer, she’s much older than Joe. What a dumb argument.

Nick Smith
Nick Smith
8 days ago

Heidi gave back her home to the bank in 2014 in lieu of a foreclosure. Someone that is 50ish yrs old and lives with her in-laws, can’t pay her taxes on time, disrespects veterans, was a Never Trumper, and posted an anti-semitic post on Facebook is clearly not fit to run for office. Furthermore, she admitted to being a pillhead for 25 yrs. In a podcast just two weeks ago. While being the “homeschool” mom. Someone should also remind her that President Trump has Jewish grandchildren

Jorge Garcia
Jorge Garcia
8 days ago

Okay but she lost her house a few years ago and is off her anti psychotics. Sorry Heidi you’re not getting my vote.

Jim
Jim
8 days ago

What I’m hearing is that this “successful” businesswoman did in fact lose her home. I guess grifting doesn’t pay the bills

Amy Garza
Amy Garza
8 days ago

Am I really supposed to cast a ballot for someone who lost their home in 2014 and is now treating their psychological disorder with essential oils?

Richard White
Richard White
8 days ago

Heidi St. “Joke.” Shameful that she was promoted by the Republican Party. Joshua Freed all over again.

Doug Freeman
Doug Freeman
8 days ago

We all saw how she compared herself to veterans ON MEMORIAL DAY. The fact she can’t see what’s wrong with what she said and gave no apology shows she is a true narcissist.

Nick Smith
Nick Smith
8 days ago

Can Clark County Today ask Heidi why she gave the house back to the bank in 2014, why she lives with her in-laws, and why she pretends to be on a battlefield?

Anna
Anna
8 days ago

Pay attention to the statement “I have never evaded taxes” which reads as a personal statement and could very well be true if referring to herself. However, she does not say for example: “My businesses have paid all corporate taxes owed prior to dissolution”.

The statement reads as thought she has answered that question, but she hasn’t. She’s just dodged it.

Still waiting for a response on corporate taxes.

Anna
Anna
8 days ago

25 years on anti psychotic drugs for PTSD and Anxiety gets no mention in your statement yet it is a huge concern for voters whether you have the mental strength to deal with such a high pressure job in Congress?

What happens if it gets too much, you slip the wagon and go on your meds (if you’re off them currently, which is still a questionmark)? How will you adequately represent us if that happens?

Were these ever any considerations when you decided to run or did you just put your own personal ambition over the welfare and needs of the people you want to represent?

Go home.

Anna
Anna
8 days ago

How is operating without a business license for 11 months “an oversight”?

C’mon man. . . . .

That’s a tough sell.

Anna
Anna
8 days ago

Heidi reinstated her business license just three days ago . . . . after an 11 month “oversight”.

Why? People found out on social media which prompted that reinstatement. One does wonder whether that “oversight” would have been rectified if it hadn’t been brought to public attention.

Art Wuerth
Art Wuerth
8 days ago

It’s an annual LICENSE fee!!! It is not a tax. An analogy would be your auto registration was sent to the wrong address. You later realize that your vehicle is unregistered. You pay the fee and the vehicle is immediately registered. (Heidi paid the fees and the businesses were instantly “undissolved”.) There is no penalty. Because there is no tax.

James
James
8 days ago

No discussion of the foreclosure? No apology for her offensive comparison of herself to veterans?

Phil Hutchinson
Phil Hutchinson
8 days ago

Heidi, “successfully” managing 3 businesses that cannot even pay your bills is not the same as carrying out your best friends that have lost their lives in combat. They are not comparable. Apologize immediately.

Janet Tomasetti
Janet Tomasetti
8 days ago

Really? Doubling down on your comparison of yourself to vets. You didn’t even have to answer that question…doing it on Memorial Day to attack a man who’s wife died in combat makes my skin crawl. I’m absolutely disgusted.

Bob
Bob
8 days ago

I have two questions I’d like Mr. Ken Vance to ask Heidi St John. 1) Do you live in that RV now? 2) Did the campaign donation I gave at the gun show go towards the down payment on that RV?

Andy Leukowski
Andy Leukowski
8 days ago

So this lady is trying to explain her comment about veterans? Thanks, I just made my decision. No need to have another narcissist who thinks she’s queen of the 3rd. I’ll pass on Jaime the II.

Martin Jackson
Martin Jackson
8 days ago

No questions about the drugs for anxiety/PTSD or the foreclosure?

Jane Goodell
Jane Goodell
8 days ago

Does she live in the house with her in-laws or do they park the RV outside and live in that?

Roni Heinsma
Roni Heinsma
3 days ago

I’m not sure what Heidi could have answered that would have been acceptable to the question of “What makes you more qualified than a 20 year vet and former Trump advisor?” Either she says she is more qualified or isn’t. I didn’t see her response as attacking anyone at all. They both seem to have fought wars on different levels for years. She wasn’t discounting his experience; she was talking about her own experience.

Peter Gammons
Peter Gammons
2 days ago
Reply to  Roni Heinsma

Heidi never fought in a war. Unless living with your in-laws at the age of 50 after giving up your home to the bank seven years ago is considered “war”.