Clark County Medical Examiner’s Office identifies suspect in officer-involved shooting

William E. Abbe, a 50-year-old Vancouver resident, was shot and later pronounced dead at an area hospital Tuesday

VANCOUVER — The man who was shot and killed in Tuesday’s officer-involved shooting has been identified by the Clark County Medical Examiner’s Office.

The man who was shot and killed in Tuesday’s officer-involved shooting has been identified by the Clark County Medical Examiner’s Office as 50-year-old Vancouver resident William E. Abbe.
William E. Abbe

William E. Abbe, a 50-year-old Vancouver resident, died Tuesday (April 28) after being transported to an area hospital. The official death certificate lists multiple gunshot wounds as the cause of death. 

Deputies from the Vancouver Police Department (VPD) responded to a report of a physical fight between Vancouver resident William E. Abbe and another man Tuesday morning in the area of NE Stapleton Rd. and E. Fourth Plain Blvd. When officers arrived, they located one male unconscious on the ground. According to police reports, the other male (Abbe) refused police commands to drop sharpened objects he was holding. Three VPD officers then fired at Abbe. 

The victim of Abbe’s assault has been released from the hospital, according to the Clark County Sheriff’s Office. The victim had been reported to have been knocked unconscious by Abbe and was transported to an area hospital for treatment.  Law enforcement will not identify the victim at this time.  The officer-involved shooting investigation is ongoing.

Law enforcement officials have confirmed that Abbe frequented the area where he was shot by officers and that he had prior interactions with police officers. Other media reports indicate that he had been involved in actions that led to him being charged with multiple crimes.

In a March 31, 2018 report by FOX 12 Oregon (KPTV), police used a stun gun to apprehend Abbe after he was witnessed banging on the Vancouver Police Department doors with a crowbar. Abbe reportedly threatened officers with the crowbar when they asked him to stop. He was booked into the Clark County Jail after being charged with three counts of assault in the second degree and one count of resisting arrest.

In a July 20, 2017 KATU report, Abbe was identified in a video posted on social media as the man allegedly seen abusing a dog at a gas station in Hillsboro, Oregon. The video shows a man tackle and punch a leashed dog at the gas station convenience store. Abbe was arrested and charged with second degree attempted animal abuse, carrying a concealed weapon, felon in possession of a weapon and violation of a release agreement. When he was arrested, Abbe reportedly had a knife and brass knuckles in his backpack.

Some information in this report provided by Clark Co. WA Communications.