Competition is open to all Southwest Washington 3rd Congressional District high school students
VANCOUVER — U.S. Representative Jaime Herrera Beutler announced recently that her office is accepting submissions for the 2020 Congressional Art Competition.
The Congressional Art Competition is open to all high school students, grades 9-12, who attend a school in Southwest Washington’s 3rd Congressional District.
The winner of the competition will have his or her artwork displayed for one year in the U.S. Capitol Building. The winner will also receive free airfare for themselves and one guest to attend the annual ribbon-cutting ceremony in Washington, D.C. The second and third place winners will be invited to display their artwork in Herrera Beutler’s congressional office.
The submission deadline this year is April 24.
“I am excited to once again host the Congressional Art Competition for our Southwest Washington students,” Herrera Beutler said. “Every year, I am amazed by the level of talent showcased, and I look forward to displaying a young Southwest Washington artist’s piece in the United States Capitol.”
About the art competition:
- Artwork must be two-dimensional. Each framed artwork can be no larger than 26 inches high, 26 inches wide, and 4 inches deep and should weigh no more than 15 pounds. These measurements include the frame.
- Accepted mediums for the two-dimensional artwork are as follows:
- Paintings: oil, acrylics, watercolor, etc.
- Drawings: colored pencil, pencil, ink, marker, pastels, charcoal (It is recommended that charcoal and pastel drawings be fixed.)
- Collages: must be two dimensional
- Prints: lithographs, silkscreen, block prints
- Mixed Media: use of more than two mediums such as pencil, ink, watercolor, etc.
- Computer-generated art
- Each entry must be original in concept, design, and execution and may not violate U.S. copyright laws.
- Artwork should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org via a photo with a student release form.
- Entries will be evaluated by a blue ribbon panel of judges from counties within Southwest Washington’s 3rd Congressional District.
For the official rules and regulations as well as student release forms, please contact Carson at email@example.com or (360) 695-6292.