A number of big-name football programs from Clark County started the season 0-1
Two league champions from Clark County face each other Friday in Week 2 of the high school football season, and, surprisingly, one of them is going to be 0-2.
Ridgefield, the defending 2A Greater St. Helens League champion, lost in its home opener last week to W.F. West, another team ranked in the top 10 in Class 2A.
Mountain View, the defending 3A GSHL champion, lost on the road in Week 1 to Class 1A Nooksack Valley. That was a stunning result to those who follow the Thunder.
Both teams are looking for improvement, and some momentum. Because the schedule gets more important real soon for Ridgefield, and the schedule gets a bit more daunting for Mountain View.
The Thunder will be taking on 4A rival Union in Week 3.
For Ridgefield, a bigger deal in Week 3. The Spudders open league play against Hockinson in Week 3.
So, yeah, while this Week 2 matchup might be non-league, both teams are in need of some positive vibes on the scoreboard.
The Spudders and Thunder kick off at 4:30 p.m. at McKenzie Stadium.
In the nightcap at McKenzie Stadium, another Clark County team is looking for a win, and that team is also facing a strong opponent.
Union (0-1) will face Yelm in a game that will give fans and media a little idea of where Union and Camas stand early in the season. Last week, Yelm topped Camas 44-14. That score raised a lot of eyebrows. (It was a close game for three quarters, and then it wasn’t.)
If Union wins Friday, it does not necessarily mean Union is “better than” Camas for the rest of the year. But games with common opponents do give the football community a jumping off point for discussions.
Also, as we head into Week 2, there is an old coaching adage: There is more improvement from Week 1 to Week 2 than in any other one-week period of the season.
There are a number of teams looking to move the needle on that improvement scale.
Camas will hold its home opener at Doc Harris Stadium. The Papermakers, the defending 4A GSHL champions, are facing Glacier Peak, a team that is ranked No.1 in Class 4A by Cascadia Preps and No. 2 in Scorebook Live Washington’s 4A power rankings.
On Saturday, Skyview looks for its first win of the season when the Storm take on in-district rival Columbia River (1-0) at Kiggins Bowl. Kickoff for that matinee is 1 p.m.
Oh, and Trico League champion La Center also fell in Week 1, meaning all four league champions from the county lost last week. La Center takes on 1-0 Woodland in Week 2.
Two Clark County teams are guaranteed to start 2-0. Evergreen (1-0) is at Hockinson (1-0) and Prairie (1-0) is taking on Hudson’s Bay (1-0) at Kiggins Bowl on Friday.
Week 2 opened Thursday night. Hoquiam outlasted Fort Vancouver.
Here is the rest of the schedule involving Clark County high school football teams:
Battle Ground at Centralia, 7 p.m.
Glacier Peak at Camas, 7 p.m.
Yelm vs. Union at McKenzie Stadium (Around 7 p.m., after first game at the stadium ends)
Evergreen at Hockinson, 7 p.m.
Heritage at Stadium, 7 p.m.
Ridgefield vs. Mountain View, 4:30 p.m. at McKenzie Stadium
Hudson’s Bay vs. Prairie, 7 p.m. at District Stadium
Toppenish at Washougal, 7 p.m.
La Center at Woodland, 7 p.m.
King’s Way Christian at Ilwaco, 7 p.m.
Goldendale at Seton Catholic, 7 p.m.
Skyview vs. Columbia River, 1 p.m. at Kiggins Bowl
- Commentary: Real-deal Evergreen makes its pointPaul Valencia shares his views after watching Evergreen’s statement victory against defending league champion Mountain View on Friday night
- Ridgefield’s Cameron Jones to take on challenge of attending Virginia Military InstituteCameron Jones, a soccer standout from Ridgefield with a passion for serving the country, expects to attend Virginia Military Institute, a tradition-rich military college
- Enjoy autumn’s bounty in the outdoorsBefore daylight wanes any further, it’s time to head outdoors for wild edible foraging and wildlife viewing; hunting or fishing; and possibly digging for razor clams on coastal beaches.
- High school football Week 5: Washougal takes on Ridgefield for first place in 2A GSHLRidgefield hosts Washougal in biggest 2A GSHL game on the schedule, while Mountain View has its homecoming game against Evergreen as Week 5 arrives for high school football
- Salmon fishing resumes beginning Oct. 1 for Columbia River below Bonneville DamThe lower Columbia River below Bonneville Dam will open additional areas for recreational salmon fishing beginning Oct. 1