The PSE Honorary Member of the Year award honors individuals who have supported classified school employees in a significant way
WASHOUGAL – Katherine Baxter, Special Education teacher at Canyon Creek Middle School in Washougal School District, was awarded the statewide 2022 Public School Employee (PSE) Honorary Member of the Year award at the PSE Annual Convention on July 23.
The PSE Honorary Member of the Year award honors individuals who have supported classified school employees in a significant way. Classified school employees often work behind the scenes to support student learning.
“Katerine supports classified staff by ensuring they have the tools they need to succeed and are recognized for their accomplishments on the job,” said Siomara Ruiz, PSE Awards Committee Member.
Sandra Goza, paraeducator at Canyon Creek Middle School, nominated Baxter for the award.
“Katherine has always made sure that I went to any workshops that would help me in my position and understands the value of ensuring our PSE members are well trained to support students,” said Goza. “For the past 10 years, Katherine has made sure that Classified School Employee Week is celebrated and that our members know how appreciated they are!”
Baxter is a tireless advocate for her students and colleagues, leading peers and students with compassion. Her quality work supports both students and the hardworking education support professionals at Washougal School District.
Baxter volunteers for school athletic functions as a cashier and leads a group of eighth graders to maintain the school garden.
“Overall, Katherine’s work ethic, hospitality, generosity, creativity and sense of humor make Canyon Creek better every single day and we are all so grateful to call her a colleague,” said Heidi Kellar, seventh grade teacher at Canyon Creek Middle School.
“Katherine is a perfect example of a certificated teacher, caring about classified staff,” said Margie Shoemaker, retired Washougal PSE member and Custodial Substitute. “She has the utmost respect for all classified staff.”
Washougal School District looks forward to supporting Baxter as she continues to extend exceptional support to students in the 2022-23 school year.
Washougal School District knows, nurtures, and challenges all students to rise. Canyon Creek Middle School fosters strong relationships, personalized learning, and equitable opportunities to ensure learning without limits for all students. Join district officials and employees in congratulating Katherine Baxter for exemplifying the mission of Washougal School District and Canyon Creek Middle School through her extraordinary work.
Information provided by Washougal School District.
- Candidates for Clark County Council, District 1 seat face off in League of Women Voters candidate forumHector Hinojosa and Glen Yung are vying for the position in the Nov. 8 general election.
- Third Congressional District candidates square off in debateDemocrat Marie Gluesenkamp Perez and Republican Joe Kent wasted no time expressing differences in ideology and vision.
- Letter: All of the ‘small business struggles that she was complaining about are basically self-inflicted’James Clark offers his thoughts on claims made by Congressional Candidate Marie Gluesenkamp Perez.
- Top London cardiologist: Stop the COVID-19 shots NOWA top London cardiologist who was one of the first to take the COVID-19 vaccine and promote it on British television now is calling for a suspension of the shots, arguing in a scientific paper that there is evidence the risk of harm is greater than any benefit.
- Public Works seeks feedback on proposed pickleball courts for Pacific Community Park at Sept. 29 meetingClark County Public Works, Parks and Lands is hosting a public meeting to discuss the addition of four pickleball courts at Pacific Community Park and gather the community’s input.
- Woodland Public Schools introduces Jump Start Kindergarten, a free transitional kindergarten for Woodland families starting Nov. 2Woodland Public Schools officials recently announced the start of a transitional kindergarten program called Jump Start.
- Get expert help filing for college financial aid at WSU VancouverProspective college students and their parents can get expert help filing for financial aid for college in fall 2022 at College Goal Washington, a free event that helps students and families complete the FAFSA