The 72-year-old Smith is a resident of Vancouver and has devoted her professional and volunteer time to community service
VANCOUVER – Clark County recognizes that older adults are valuable contributors to the vitality of this community. To encourage and support older adults for their contributions to their communities, the Clark County Commission on Aging established a program to recognize older adults who go above and beyond in service.
The recipient of the 2022 Silver Citizen Award is Katlin Smith. Katlin is 72 years old, is a resident of Vancouver, and has devoted her professional and volunteer time to community service. The impact of Katlin’s service with FISH of Vancouver Food Pantry particularly stands out. In 2014, Katlin joined the FISH Capital Campaign Committee, supporting the $1 million+ campaign that enabled the purchase of a new 10,000 square foot building/warehouse in downtown Vancouver. She joined the organization’s Board of Directors in 2016 and has been president of the board since 2017. Under Katlin’s leadership, FISH of Vancouver evolved from an all-volunteer organization open a few hours a day to the bustling enterprise it is now – three full time employees, more than 120 volunteers, and approximately 1.3 million pounds of food distributed last year. Katlin has changed the model of the typical food pantry/food bank, from clients receiving pre-packaged boxes to a client choice grocery store model. The Mobile Pantry is another new addition under Katlin’s leadership. The Mobile Pantry takes food to clients, traveling to senior centers, low-income medical clinics and other often overlooked locations, delivering fresh produce, staples, dairy and meats.
The award presentation will take place at the commission’s Wed., Nov. 16 meeting at 4:30 p.m. The event will use a hybrid format with both in-person and virtual participation options. Attend in the sixth-floor Hearing Room of the Public Service Center, 1300 Franklin St., or join by phone or computer through information provided at: https://clark.wa.gov/community-planning/commission-aging-meetings.
The award recognizes the valuable contributions older adults make to the vitality of the community and is open to any county resident 60 years or older who has enhanced the community through their life’s work, engagement of others, volunteerism and or other impactful acts of service to the community for any age group.
The Commission on Aging, supported by the Clark County Council, is a nine-member volunteer group that implements the Aging Readiness Plan and provides leadership addressing needs of aging community members.
For more about the commission, visit www.clark.wa.gov/aging.
Information provided by Clark Co. WA Communications.
- Organizers send out Call for Arts prior to inaugural Vancouver Arts and Music FestivalVancouver Arts and Music Festival, presented by the city of Vancouver, Vancouver Symphony, and Columbia Arts Network, is looking for artists to display their work.
- Save the date for the fall Furry Friends auctionFurry Friends plans rock and roll-themed ‘HISS’ auction at Heathman Lodge on Sept. 16, seeking donations of high-value items like trips, experiences, and electronics, with all funds going towards cat rescue and care.
- Wonderful tribute: La Center Lions Club to receive international kindness awardLions Club International Foundation is giving out 30 Kindness Matters Awards this year worldwide, only six in the United States, and the La Center Lions Club, for its Wonderful Onesies Project, is one of the recipients
- Vancouver to host free music, movies and more this summerVancouver Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services has a full lineup of free events planned this summer featuring talented artists, blockbusters, and diverse local artists, offering a fantastic opportunity to connect with neighbors and celebrate the city’s vibrant culture and community spirit.
- Washougal Studio Artists Tour is Mother’s Day WeekendThe Washougal Studio Artists Tour is a two-day event that celebrates the heart of Washougal arts with a self-guided tour of nine studios, featuring 25 artists.