Closure signs were posted at Klineline Pond Tuesday after several water samples taken from the pond on Monday showed elevated levels of E. coli bacteria
VANCOUVER – Clark County Public Health is closing Klineline Pond to swimming and wading due to elevated levels of E. coli bacteria detected during routine testing. Some E. coli bacteria can cause serious gastrointestinal illness if water is accidentally swallowed.
Closure signs were posted at Klineline Pond Tuesday after several water samples taken from the pond on Monday showed elevated levels of E. coli bacteria. Public Health staff observed geese and geese feces on the shore at Klineline Pond. Heavy rains may have washed the animal feces into the water and contributed to elevated bacteria levels.
Public Health will collect additional water samples for testing on Wednesday and expects results before the end of the week. The closure will remain in effect until tests show that E. coli bacteria levels do not exceed state and US Environmental Protection Agency guidelines.
People may continue to fish in Klineline Pond but should thoroughly clean all fish and equipment. Fish should be cooked before eaten. Anyone having contact with pond water should wash hands with soap and water.
A danger advisory remains in place at Vancouver Lake due to elevated levels of cyanotoxins from blue-green algae. Public Health is advising against all recreating in Vancouver Lake, including swimming, kayaking, paddle boarding, canoeing and water skiing.
Public Health collected additional water samples from Vancouver Lake on Monday to test toxin levels. Test results are expected later this week.
Test results and current advisories are available on the Public Health website.
Salmon Creek Regional Park and Vancouver Lake Regional Park remain open to the public. Water within the restrooms and shelters is not affected and remains safe to drink.
Information about E. coli
E. coli is a common kind of bacteria that lives in the intestines of animals and people. The presence of E. coli in Klineline Pond water indicates that the water may contain bacteria found in animal or human feces. Some of these bacteria are capable of causing severe gastrointestinal illness.
Depending on the cause, people with gastrointestinal infections may experience fever, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea beginning several hours to several days or longer after exposure. Some infections may cause bloody diarrhea.
People who experience bloody diarrhea or persistent gastrointestinal symptoms should call their physician or other health care provider.
Information provided by Clark Co. WA Communications.