
It was determined that Sgt. Richard Kelly died Aug. 10 from the combined toxic effects of Fentanyl and Methamphetamine
The Clark County Medical Examiner has determined that Battle Ground Police Sgt. Richard Kelly died from the combined toxic effects of Fentanyl and Methamphetamine. Sgt. Kelly was discovered unconscious in his office at the Battle Ground Police Department and was later pronounced deceased at a local hospital on August 10. To maintain transparency and an unbiased investigation, Battle Ground Police Chief Mike Fort immediately requested the assistance of the Vancouver Police Department to conduct an independent investigation into the matter.
Detectives with the Vancouver Police Department have now completed their independent investigation of the physical evidence observed at the scene, a review of the Clark County Medical Examiner’s report,and the toxicology reports. They have concluded Sgt. Kelly’s death was “more likely than not caused by an intentional act and not an incidental workplace exposure.”
Kelly’s family was notified of the findings earlier this week after the investigative report was released October 18.
Chief Fort said, “I want to thank the community and other law enforcement agencies once again for their compassionate support of the men and women of the Battle Ground Police Department as we grieved through the shock of this death. Sgt. Kelly’s unexpected passing was a significant and traumatic event for his co-workers, family, and friends.”
In addition to the death investigation, Chief Fort ordered an independent audit of the Department’s property and evidence procedures, including how seized narcotics are handled. Appropriate training and procedural changes will be implemented based on the findings of the audit, and/or any additional administrative review.
“Substance abuse is a serious problem that often goes unsuspected and undetected,” Chief Fort acknowledged. “As a community, we need to support local efforts to assist anyone struggling with the effects of mental health and substance abuse so they may achieve recovery.”
Information provided by city of Battle Ground.
Also read:
- Opinion: Were Republican voters just sleeping during the August primary election?CCRP Chairman Matt Bumala says 60% of primary no-shows in the 17th and 18th districts were Republicans.
- High school football: New coach prepares for long-term success at Prairie High SchoolJames Young-Lewis, a Clark County native who graduated from Evergreen in 2009, became Prairie’s head coach in May after working as an assistant coach across various programs since 2015, joining Prairie’s staff in 2024.
- Cost to battle 20 wildfires in WA has topped $200MTwenty wildfires have cost Washington $207M in one month, more than two-thirds of what DNR spent all last fiscal year.
- Opinion: WA Cares’ launch showcased care WA Cares did not provideGov. Ferguson showcased a caregiving arrangement at the WA Cares launch that the program had not paid for a single day of.
- Former State Rep. Liz Pike provides update on husband Neil CahoonNeil Cahoon, a Camas resident, has undergone multiple surgeries including five on Aug. 15 after the Aug. 10 crash near La Center’s Daybreak Airport.
- Opinion: Portland’s War on Cars Part 4 – A smarter automobile strategy to end gridlockO’Toole argues fuel wasted in Portland-area congestion has sextupled since 1982, generating 250,000 tons of extra greenhouse gases annually.
- $1,000 first prize for Camas Plein Air Art Event honoring Marquita Call on Sept. 26Plein air artists compete Sept. 26 in Camas for $1,000 first prize honoring gallery founder Marquita Call.








