One of the handguns recovered was stolen from a federal law enforcement agency
On Aug. 10, Clark County Sheriff deputies were conducting a traffic enforcement emphasis in the Hazel Dell area. A deputy observed a sedan and made attempts to conduct a traffic stop for an equipment violation.
The vehicle failed to comply with the traffic stop and made attempts to accelerate away. Soon after, the vehicle abruptly stopped, and the driver fled from the vehicle. The deputy observed the driver in possession of a handgun and observed the driver place the firearm in his waistband while sprinting from the vehicle. Multiple other subjects also fled on foot from the vehicle.
Another deputy observed the driver and engaged him a short distance from the vehicle. The suspect fully complied with instructions from the arresting deputy and no further incident occurred. He was found to no longer be in possession of the firearm.
An extensive search of the area was conducted with the assistance of Vancouver Police Department K9. During the search, the handgun was located, which included a 30-round extended magazine. Further firearm analysis will be conducted, but the firearm appears to be illegally modified to be fully automatic.
The 16-year-old suspect was arrested and charged with Attempting to Elude and Unlawful Firearm Possession. He was booked into the Clark County Juvenile Justice Center.
On Tuesday (Aug. 16), the suspect’s vehicle was searched pursuant to a court authorized search warrant. During the vehicle search, ballistic body armor was located and seized, as well as two additional handguns, both reported stolen, one of which was stolen from a federal law enforcement agency.
The investigation remains active.
Information provided by Clark County Sheriff’s Office.
- Clark County auditor candidates square off at candidate forumAuditor Greg Kimsey and opponent Brett Simpson each participate in Monday forum hosted by League of Women Voters of Clark County.
- Letter: Jail Services takeover is the latest example of how the Democrat-controlled bureaucracy worksArea resident Rob Anderson expresses his displeasure for the Clark County Council’s decision to create a new Jail Services Department.
- Vancouver Police arrest male who approached children at school bus stopsOn Sept. 16, Vancouver Police were notified of a suspicious male who was reportedly talking with middle school-aged kids at a school bus stop in the area of NE 144th Avenue/Hearthwood Blvd.
- Medical Examiner’s Office determines identity of man in 2002 cold caseThe Medical Examiner’s Office recently identified James Orin Johnson Sr. as the unidentified person found in Ridgefield on Jan. 13, 2002
- Battle Ground High School to host U.S. Air Force Concert Band and Singing SergeantsBattle Ground High School was selected as one site for the United States Air Force Concert Band and Singing Sergeants during a special tour celebrating the 75th anniversary of the USAF.
- Soundstage at Canyon Creek Middle School presents ‘The Legend of Sleepy Hollow: The Headless Horseman’Students at Canyon Creek Middle School have just begun rehearsals for “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow: The Headless Horseman,” a radio play based on the story by Washington Irving.
- Port of Vancouver USA Board of Commissioners approve newly drawn districtsThe Port of Vancouver USA Board of Commissioners voted unanimously to adopt the newly drawn district boundaries