Washington congresswoman says of the HHS: ‘there’s been a complete breakdown of accountability at the agency that has lost the trust of the American people, especially during COVID-19’
The Center Square
Following a letter sent out July 7, members of the Energy and Commerce Committee held a news conference last week on what they said was Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra’s failure to lawfully reappoint 14 National Institutes of Health officials, including Dr. Anthony Fauci.
Following a bipartisan law passed in 2016, the 21st Century Cures Act, the Secretary of the HHS had to reappoint NIH Institute and Center Directors every five years, starting with those whose terms would expire in December 2021.
“There’s been a complete breakdown of accountability at the agency that has lost the trust of the American people, especially during COVID-19,” Energy and Commerce Chair Cathy McMorris Rodgers, R-Wash., said at the news conference. “14 NIH officials, including Dr. Fauci, held unlawful positions and exercised authority that they didn’t have, which included approving $26 billion in grants.”
Rodgers mentioned that the NIH had misled the committee for over a year throughout the investigation. She claimed that the request “has been a pretty simple one,” that being to provide documents proving Becerra reappointed the officials.
“No one is above the law. Americans need to know that their tax dollars are being spent responsibly, effectively, and lawfully and that the people making these decisions are lawfully authorized to make them,” Rodgers said.
Health Subcommittee Chair Brett Guthrie, R-Ky., said in the conference that every decision each official made after 2021 should be called into question. He specifically called out Fauci.
“It is unfair to the American people that, while he held this position unlawfully, he used his platform to be the voice of science and shame those with alternative point of views in addition to pushing for questionable public health guidance policies,” Guthrie said.
The committee also announced plans to hold a hearing for Becerra at the end of the month.
This report was first published by The Center Square Washington.
- Medical freedom conference at local church draws large crowdA link to a video for a recent conference on medical freedom at Bethel Community Church in Washougal has been taken down by YouTube, but those who were at the event witnessed two doctors calling for individuals to take back their freedom.
- Report: COVID-vaccine maker monitored popular critics of the jabPharmaceutical giant Moderna tracked the content of popular media personalities who were critical of the COVID-19 vaccine seeking to censor what the company deemed as “misinformation.”
- WATCH: Tucker Carlson: When do the architects of the COVID catastrophe go on trial?In his latest episode of his Uncensored series on X, Tucker Carlson asked New York Times reporter Alex Berenson when will the architects of the COVID “catastrophe’’ go on trial?
- Doctors no longer forced to sing COVID narrative in one stateThere’s been a victory for free speech as a state law that limited what doctors could say about COVID-19 has hit the trash bin.
- CIA being sued for hiding COVID pandemic recordsThe Central Intelligence Agency is being sued for refusing to release records relating to an investigation of the origins of COVID.
- Shares of company making COVID shots plunge 44%Shares of company making COVID shots plunge 44%. During 2022, when the COVID-19 fears still raged across the nation, Pfizer reported a record $100 billion revenue stream.
- Rand Paul: Fauci claimed Wuhan research ‘worth the risk’ even if pandemic killsRand Paul: Fauci claimed Wuhan research ‘worth the risk’ even if pandemic kills. Senator charges COVID adviser ‘responsible for probably more deaths’ than anyone in the medical world.
- COVID’s mRNA shots now linked to VAIDSResearchers at Cambridge University have released a study showing that about one-fourth of those people who were given the mRNA shots during the COVID panic now have VAIDS, or Vaccine-Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.