Forty-year-old suspect arrested after altercation and charged with Murder in the Second Degree
On Friday (Jan. 27) at about 9:06 p.m., a 9-1-1 caller reported a disturbance in a room at the Sunnyside Motel located at 12200 NE Highway 99. Clark County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded and located two males in the motel room who appeared to have been in a physical altercation.
One male was detained by deputies, and the other exhibited substantial external injuries and was unconscious. Medical aid was rendered to the injured male by medics. Shortly thereafter, the male was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The Clark County Sheriff’s Office Major Crimes Unit responded to investigate. An on-scene witness described to detectives that an altercation had occurred between the two males in the motel room and began looking for help from another motel guest to call 9-1-1.
Jonathan D. Smith, 40, was identified as the detained male from the hotel room. Smith invoked his right to remain silent when interviewed by detectives. Search warrants were served on the crime scene location and on Smith. Based on the current investigation, Smith was arrested for RCW 9A.32.050, Murder in the Second Degree and booked into the Clark County Jail.
This is an ongoing active investigation by the Clark County Sheriff’s Office Major Crimes Unit being assisted by the Washington State Patrol Crime Scene Response Team.
The decedent’s name is not being released pending official identification and next of kin notification by the Clark County Medical Examiner’s Office. There are no outstanding suspects and no danger to the public as a result of this incident.
Information provided by Clark County Sheriff’s Office.
- Volunteers filled with joy at the Scott Campbell Christmas Promise’s Bike BuildThe Scott Campbell Christmas Promise wants all children in need to have a bicycle for Christmas, and this year, more than 800 bikes were being assembled and prepared for delivery, courtesy of Waste Connections and a large number of volunteers.
- Night of 1,000 Stars remembers traffic crash fatalities, recognizes law enforcement officialsLaw enforcement officials from throughout Southwest Washington met Friday night to remember lives lost on Washington’s roads, and promised to do their best in keeping the roads safe from impaired drivers as part of Target Zero’s mission
- Body found in hotel room fireA fatal fire at the Inn at Salmon Creek in the early morning prompts a death investigation, with firefighters extinguishing the blaze and the Clark County Medical Examiner called to identify the victim and determine the cause of death.
- Opinion: Diversion – IBR tolls will gridlock I-205City Observatory’s Joe Cortright warns that Oregon’s tolling plans for the I-5 Interstate Bridge Replacement (IBR) Project, with tolls ranging from $2.80 to $4.30, could trigger a substantial drop in I-5 traffic, potentially causing gridlock on the parallel I-205 Bridge and raising concerns about traffic diversion and community well-being.
- Clark County Council to hold special meeting on Dec. 13The Clark County Council will hold a special meeting at 1 p.m. Wed., Dec. 13.
- Vancouver man exonerated in vehicular homicide caseChristian Poole was found not guilty on two counts of vehicular homicide stemming from a July 2019 collision that claimed the lives of Matthew Stevens and Renee Unell.
- Seven new deputy sheriff positions added with County Council approvalOn Tuesday (Dec. 5), the Clark County Council approved two budget requests to add seven new deputy sheriff positions to the Clark County Sheriff’s Office.