Clark County Fire & Rescue controls garage fire in Woodland


Homeowners were out of the house when firefighters arrived; pet dog was rescued by firefighters

WOODLAND — Crews from Clark County Fire & Rescue (CCFR) were able to control a garage fire and safely rescue a dog in Woodland Sunday evening.

CCFR units were dispatched at 7:19 p.m. Sunday to a report of a fire in the garage of a house at 169 Marty Loop in Woodland. The fire engine from the Woodland station arrived on scene at 7:25 p.m. to find a heavy fire burning in the garage and spreading up the exterior walls and into the attic through the eaves. Callers told dispatchers that ammunition or fireworks were exploding in the garage. Firefighters could hear the small explosions when they first arrived on scene.

Crews from Clark County Fire & Rescue were able to control a garage fire and safely rescue a dog in Woodland Sunday evening. Photo by Mike Schultz
Crews from Clark County Fire & Rescue were able to control a garage fire and safely rescue a dog in Woodland Sunday evening. Photo by Mike Schultz

The initial crew attacked the garage fire from outside while waiting for the next arriving unit to conduct a search of the house. The homeowners were out of the house when firefighters arrived, but told police and firefighters that a pet dog was still inside. 

Woodland Police Sergeant Rob Lipp convinced the homeowners to safely wait outside until firefighters could conduct a search. Firefighters searching the house found the dog in an upstairs room and brought it out to the homeowners. The pet had been exposed to smoke, but was uninjured.

Callers told dispatchers that ammunition or fireworks were exploding in the garage. Firefighters could hear the small explosions when they first arrived on scene. Photo by Mike Schultz
Callers told dispatchers that ammunition or fireworks were exploding in the garage. Firefighters could hear the small explosions when they first arrived on scene. Photo by Mike Schultz

Fire & Life Safety codes call for a door between a garage and a living space to have a 20-minute rating, which means it can be exposed to fire conditions for 20 minutes before failing. The fire-rated door between the garage and the house kept the fire from entering the living space of the house. However, smoke was able to push into the living space and caused smoke-related damage throughout the house. Firefighters noted that smoke detectors were sounding in the house when they arrived.

There were no injuries to firefighters or civilians at the fire. The fire is under investigation by the Clark County Fire Marshal’s Office. 

CCFR was assisted on this fire by Clark County Fire District 6 and Cowlitz County Fire District 1.

Clark County Fire & Rescue has provided fire suppression and emergency medical services to the City of Woodland since 2013 through an interlocal contract. On Aug. 4, residents in Woodland and CCFR will vote on the annexation of Woodland into CCFR.

Information provided by Clark County Fire & Rescue.

About The Author

Related posts