
Interim Chief McCabe currently serves as the chief administrative deputy with the Clark County Sheriff’s Office
Battle Ground City Manager Erin Erdman has appointed Michael McCabe to serve in the role of interim police chief following the retirement of former Chief Mike Fort earlier this month.
Interim Chief McCabe currently serves as the chief administrative deputy with the Clark County Sheriff’s Office. His temporary appointment with the Battle Ground Police Department was approved through an interlocal agreement between the Sheriff’s Office and the city of Battle Ground on January 2. He will serve the department in a part-time capacity with the Battle Ground Police Department until a permanent replacement is selected.
Interim Chief McCabe has 34 years of law enforcement experience, 30 years of which have been with the Clark County Sheriff’s Office. He has served in a variety of administrative and management roles including police frontline operations, corrections, training, communications management, and specialty assignments such as the School Resource Officer Program, SWAT, and Crisis Negotiations Team.
“I am thankful to Clark County and to Sheriff Horch for the assistance during this time of transition for the city of Battle Ground,” City Manager Erdman said. “We welcome Interim Chief McCabe. With his extensive knowledge, skills, and familiarity with our community, I am confident he will help make this transition as smooth as possible for the Department and the city.”
“The Clark County Sheriff’s Office and city of Battle Ground have always had a strong relationship and we understand that we are all part of one community, regardless of jurisdictional boundaries,” said Sheriff John Horch. “We are always willing to help our partnering police agencies when asked. We know that Chief Michael McCabe will do an excellent job as interim chief while the city finalizes its official selection.”
The City is currently in the process of selecting the permanent police chief. A nationwide search was conducted by GMP Consultants and interviews with five top candidates took place on December 8. One candidate is currently in the background phase of the hiring process.
Information provided by the city of Battle Ground.
Also read:
- Opinion: Were Republican voters just sleeping during the August primary election?CCRP Chairman Matt Bumala says 60% of primary no-shows in the 17th and 18th districts were Republicans.
- High school football: New coach prepares for long-term success at Prairie High SchoolJames Young-Lewis, a Clark County native who graduated from Evergreen in 2009, became Prairie’s head coach in May after working as an assistant coach across various programs since 2015, joining Prairie’s staff in 2024.
- Cost to battle 20 wildfires in WA has topped $200MTwenty wildfires have cost Washington $207M in one month, more than two-thirds of what DNR spent all last fiscal year.
- Opinion: WA Cares’ launch showcased care WA Cares did not provideGov. Ferguson showcased a caregiving arrangement at the WA Cares launch that the program had not paid for a single day of.
- Former State Rep. Liz Pike provides update on husband Neil CahoonNeil Cahoon, a Camas resident, has undergone multiple surgeries including five on Aug. 15 after the Aug. 10 crash near La Center’s Daybreak Airport.
- Opinion: Portland’s War on Cars Part 4 – A smarter automobile strategy to end gridlockO’Toole argues fuel wasted in Portland-area congestion has sextupled since 1982, generating 250,000 tons of extra greenhouse gases annually.
- $1,000 first prize for Camas Plein Air Art Event honoring Marquita Call on Sept. 26Plein air artists compete Sept. 26 in Camas for $1,000 first prize honoring gallery founder Marquita Call.








