‘You are not forgotten’
The Community Military Appreciation Committee is inviting the community to join together in recognition of National POW/MIA Day on Friday.
CMAC will hold a ceremony at 11 a.m. at the Armed Forces Reserve Center, 15005 NE 65th Street in Vancouver. The reserve center is the site of Clark County’s POW/MIA monument.
Retired Army Col. Larry J. Smith and Retired Air Force Col. Mike Burton will host the event. Speakers include: Lt. Col. Andrew Plassmeyer and Vancouver City Council Member Sara Fox.
The keynote speaker will be Gwen Davis, sister of Harley Hall, the last prisoner of war in Vietnam.
The mission of this event is to remember and honor Americans who were prisoners of war and those who served and never returned home.
There will be a dove release and a wreath laying, as well as the Missing Man Table and Honors Ceremony. CMAC is an all-inclusive group composed of members representing youth, education, civic, military, veteran groups, and local governments. CMAC plans several community events each year. Learn more about CMAC at www.cmac11.com
- Hit-and-run driver flees scene on foot with 9-year-old childThe Clark County Sheriff’s Office is seeking assistance from the public to locate a suspect in a hit-and-run collision involving a 9-year-old child.
- Vancouver Police make arrest in double homicide investigationThe Vancouver Police Department arrested Kirkland C. Warren Friday and charged him with two counts of Murder I in the investigation of the deaths of 27-year-old Meshay Melendez and her 7-year-old daughter Layla Stewart.
- Area residents turn out for Town Hall meetingDistrict 2 Councilor Michelle Belkot and Clark County Sheriff John Horch address issues facing Clark County residents.
- Opinion: Despite record revenues and being the only state in the nation not giving broad tax relief, Washington House Democrats are considering increasing taxesMark Harmsworth of the Washington Policy Center believes House Bill 1628 will not solve housing affordability in either the ownership, rental or commercial real estate markets.
- Public invited to Shangri-La Farm for a country-style Easter egg hunt Sat., April 8Local artist and Clark County Master Gardener Liz Pike is organizing the second annual community Easter egg hunt at her organic Shangri-La Farm in Fern Prairie on Sat., April 8.
- Opinion: The state legislature may soon significantly reduce classroom instruction time for studentsLiv Finne of the Washington Policy Center states the legislation may be great for the teacher’s union, but it will deprive many of Washington’s school children of the quality public education they’ve been promised.
- County to host corrections officer career open house on April 19Clark County Jail Services and Human Resources staff will hold an information open house for individuals interested in a career as a corrections officer.