Ridgefield is 5-3 in West Coast League play
The Ridgefield Raptors return home this week after a winning trip to Canada, and they also have a player of the week from the West Coast League.
Ben Hart of Dixie State was named the WCL’s pitcher of the week. Hart threw six scoreless innings Friday night against the Nanaimo NightOwls. That gives Hart 11 scoreless innings in his two appearances for the Raptors this season.
The Raptors won three of five games in Canada against the NightOwls and the Kelowna Falcons. They are 5-3 in West Coast League games.
Ridgefield will take on the Edmonton Riverhawks in a three-game series at the Ridgefield Outdoor Recreation Complex, with the first game Tuesday. The Raptors will remain home for a weekend series against rival Cowlitz. All games start at 6:35 p.m. except for Sunday’s matinee, with a 1:05 p.m. first pitch.
The Raptors are nearby for their next 15 games. After this weekend’s series, the team will play three in Portland against the Pickles, then return home for six more games.
Besides the strong pitching from Hart, the Raptors have had the knack for crushing the ball. In three of the team’s five wins, the Raptors have scored 16, 23, and 17 runs. They also scored 21 runs in the opening night exhibition game.
Will Chambers, who led the WCL in home runs last season, has three home runs and has driven in seven runs this season. Safea Villaruz-Mauai leads the Raptors with 10 RBIs,
Trent Prokes is hitting .478 on the young season. Former Mountain View High School standout Riley McCarthy is second on the team with a .355 average.
On the mound, Jeter Schuerman is leading the team in strikeouts. He has 12 in 5.2 innings of work. He had eight strikeouts in three innings of work against Kelowna last week.
For tickets, go to: https://ridgefieldraptors.com/
- Sockeye fishing expands on much of the Columbia River as returns exceed expectationsWith sockeye salmon returning to the Columbia River in numbers well above the preseason forecast, fishery managers announced Thursday that sockeye fishing will open from the Astoria-Megler Bridge on the lower river to the Highway 395 Bridge at Pasco, and daily limits increase from there to Chief Joseph Dam near Bridgeport on the upper river.
- Ridgefield Raptors to hold Military Appreciation Day on SundayClark County’s West Coast League baseball team, the Ridgefield Raptors, honor military and veterans every game, but Sunday will be a special day with even more of an emphasis on those who serve or have served.
- Curt Daniels Invitational baseball tourney being held at Union and Camas this weekThe annual club baseball tournament has been moved from Propstra Stadium to Camas and Union fields for this year, but the spirit of the tourney remains: to honor the memory of local baseball giant Curt Daniels.
- Ridgefield Raptor Will Chambers feels right at home with host familyJerry and Carlene Adamowicz opened their home to become a host family for the Ridgefield Raptors last year, and the relationship they built with home run champion Will Chambers helped change his life.
- Alumni games help high school basketball programs raise moneyThe Camas girls basketball team took on former Camas girls basketball players on Thursday, followed by an alumni game for the boys, as a night to celebrate basketball and raise funds for the programs