VANCOUVER — The 46th annual Clark County Wrestling Tournament begins Friday afternoon at Hudson’s Bay High School.
Wrestlers from 20 area high schools, some from outside the county, will hit the mats for Session I action at 4 p.m. Friday. Matches will be held on four mats in the first two rounds of the men’s championship and Round A of the men’s consolation round. Action is expected to continue to about 9 p.m. tonight before resuming at 10 a.m. on Saturday.
Action will continue throughout the day on Saturday. The men’s and women’s finals are expected to begin on two mats at 6 p.m. Saturday. All times are subject to change as the tournament takes place.
The tournament was originally scheduled for last weekend, but was postponed due to winter weather.
Participating schools at this year’s event includes Battle Ground, Camas, Columbia River, Evergreen, Fort Vancouver, Heritage, Hockinson, Hudson’s Bay, King’s Way Christian, La Center, Mountain View, Prairie, Ridgefield, Skyview, Union, Washougal, Mark Morris, Woodland, Kelso and Warrenton (Ore.).
This year’s No. 1 seeds in the men’s competition are as follows:
- 106 pounds — Brett Joner, Battle Ground (18-5 record)
- 113 pounds — Ethan Rotondo, Union (state champion, returning Clark County champion)
- 120 pounds — Vitaliy Manolov, Union (6th in state, returning Clark County champion)
- 126 pounds — Trevor Newburn, Ridgefield (4th in state, returning Clark County champion)
- 132 pounds — Noah Talavera, Union (16-5 record, second place finisher at Clark County)
- 138 pounds — Chris Joner, Battle Ground (6th in state, returning Clark County champion)
- 145 pounds — Danny Snediker, Union (3rd place finisher Clark County tourney)
- 152 pounds — Jeff Mayolo, La Center (11-1 record, 5th in state, 3rd at Clark County)
- 160 pounds — Izaiah Duran, Battle Ground (30-3 record)
- 170 pounds — Tommy Strassenberg, Union (4th in state, returning Clark County champion)
- 182 pounds — Jackson McKinney, Skyview (21-0 record)
- 195 pounds — Kevin Williams, Evergreen
- 220 pounds — Bryan Person, Prairie (16-4 record)
- 285 pounds — Wyatt Close, Prairie (10-4 record)
Ticket prices for the event are $5 for seniors and elementary school students with ASB. Adult all-day passes are $10 and family day passes (two adults, two children under 14) are $20.
Medals will be awarded to the top six wrestlers in each men’s weight class and to the top four wrestlers in each women’s weight class. A team championship trophy will be awarded as well as the 8th annual Mark Dodge Award.