Reporter Paul Valencia and sports administrators Tony Liberatore and Cale Piland talk about high school sports and more
Welcome back to the Clark County Today Sports Podcast.
In this episode we preview some incredible football games, including the Skyview-Camas battle in the Class 4A Greater St. Helens League.
And we ask: Can a team be cursed in high school football?
There is no doubt that Camas has had the best overall football program in Clark County for the past decade or so. With that said, the Papermakers have not always had the dominant team in this rivalry, every year. In fact, many times, Skyview has appeared to have the upper hand. But at the end of each meeting, it’s Camas with the win. As in, 12 consecutive meetings.
In other key matchups, Seton Catholic is hoping to take down perennial power La Center in a game of unbeatens.
Back in 4A, it’s Battle Ground trying to stay undefeated, taking on Union.
And every game in the 2A GSHL matters.
Beyond high school sports, we also talk about rooting for pro athletes who used to play on our favorite teams but are now playing for teams in the playoffs. When your favorite team does not make the playoffs, do you root for players who used to be on your team?
Tony Liberatore of Vancouver Public Schools and Cale Piland of Evergreen Public Schools give their thoughts, along with Clark County Today reporter Paul Valencia.
We’re always interested in subject ideas for a future podcast. Tony and Cale are experts in administration for high school sports, and Paul has seen a few things in his decades in Southwest Washington sports. Email us a subject idea.
Also, none of us like the name of our podcast. Got an idea for a better one? Email us. (Be nice!) Send us your thoughts at: email@example.com.
- State basketball: Skyview among four schools celebrating two teamsThere are 10 teams from Clark County still playing in their state basketball tournaments and four schools — Skyview, Camas, Columbia River, and Skyview — are sending their boys and girls teams to this weekend’s opening round games.
- Chat with the Champions: Seven state wrestling champs from Clark CountyThere were seven state champions from Clark County schools at Mat Classic, and we reached out to all seven to see what life is like after winning it all in the Tacoma Dome.
- Clark County Today Sports Podcast, Feb. 22, 2024: A salute to wrestling champions and a look ahead to state basketballWe recorded this episode a few days after one of the biggest days in Clark County high school wrestling history, with seven state champions, including four from Skyview.
- 2024 Columbia River spring Chinook fishing seasons announcedFishery managers from Washington and Oregon on Wednesday approved this year’s recreational spring Chinook salmon fishing season for the Columbia River.
- High school basketball: Camas earns top seed for 4A girls tournamentCamas girls, Columbia River girls, and Seton Catholic boys get top-8 seeds, while seven other Clark County teams made it to state and will play elimination games this week.