
The lawsuit alleges that Attorney General Bob Ferguson and Secretary of State Steve Hobbs colluded to rescind the State Constitution’s mandatory 30-day waiting period required before people in Washington state can legally register to vote
The Washington State Republican Party (WAGOP), Chairman Jim Walsh, and Franklin County Auditor Matt Beaton have jointly filed a lawsuit in federal court, pertaining to election integrity.

The lawsuit alleges that WA Attorney General Bob Ferguson and WA Secretary of State Steve Hobbs colluded to rescind the State Constitution’s mandatory 30-day waiting period required before people in Washington state can legally register to vote.
“This is an urgent election integrity issue that needs to be fixed immediately—before the General Election in early November,” says Chairman Walsh. “We are asking the court to reverse a devious scheme to destroy the State Constitution’s good rule that a person has to live in Washington for at least 30 days before registering to vote.”
Adds Chairman Walsh: “The crux of the problem is a phony ‘consent decree’ concocted by State AG Ferguson and WA Sec of State Hobbs to end the 30-day residency requirement. They claim their phony ‘decree’ was the necessary result of a lawsuit filed by a nonprofit organization. We believe that the lawsuit was merely an excuse to undermine an important constitutional guarantee of election integrity.
This lawsuit is another step in fixing what’s broken in WA elections.
Earlier this month the WAGOP filed a lawsuit against King County over the use of online software by Omniballot to ‘cure’ signature problems on 2,100 ballots in the closely contested race for second place for WA Commissioner of Public Lands.
“We want to improve the transparency and the reliability and faith in our elections in WA,” emphasizes Chairman Walsh.
Also read:
- Opinion: Make your voice heard about the majority party’s state income tax proposalRep. John Ley outlines his opposition to Senate Bill 6346 and urges residents to participate in the February 24 public hearing before the House Finance Committee.
- Letter: County Council resolution ‘strong on rhetoric, weak on results’Peter Bracchi calls on the Clark County Council to withdraw its ICE-related resolution and replace it with a measurable public-safety plan.
- Trump vows new tariffs, criticizes Supreme Court justices after rulingPresident Donald Trump said he will pursue new tariffs under different authorities after the Supreme Court ruled he exceeded his power under IEEPA.
- Opinion: A loss at the Supreme CourtLars Larson reacts to a Supreme Court decision limiting President Trump’s tariff authority and outlines his view of its economic impact.
- Belkot reminds other Clark County Councilors that there is active litigationMichelle Belkot cited her active lawsuit against fellow councilors as the Clark County Council discussed potential changes to its Rules of Procedure.







