The Saturday night closure is necessary for crews to install two new sign bridges spanning all freeway lanes
Interstate 5 will close in both directions for seven hours through North Portland starting 11 p.m. Sat., May 16 while crews build two new sign bridges across all freeway lanes.
The closure will be in place between the Interstate Bridge and Alberta Street from 11 p.m. Sat., May 16 until 6 a.m. Sun., May 17. Traffic impacts include ramp and lane closures adjacent to the work areas, starting as early as 7 p.m.
The two new sign bridges will cross I-5 just north of North Alberta Street and just south of the Marine Drive interchange.
When completed, the project will add RealTime signs in seven locations along I-5 between Marine Drive and I-405. These signs will help reduce crashes, improve travel time reliability and improve highway efficiency with new advisory speed signs, traveler information signs and relocated guide signs.
During the closure:
- Southbound I-5 traffic will have to leave the highway at SR 14.
- Northbound I-5 traffic will have to leave the highway at North Alberta Street.
- Northbound I-405 traffic can only exit to southbound I-5. The ramps to northbound I-5 and to North Kerby Avenue will be closed.
During the work, the following ramps will remain open between the Interstate Bridge and North Alberta Street.
I-5 southbound ramps
- North Alberta Street on-ramp
- North Going Street on-ramp
- Interstate 405 off-ramp.
- Westbound SR 14 and West 5th Street on-ramp.
I-5 northbound ramps
- North Greeley Street off-ramp
- North Alberta Street off-ramp
- North Marine Drive on-ramp
- Hayden Island/Jantzen Beach off-ramp
- Hayden Island/Jantzen Beach on-ramp
During the closure, Hayden Island can be reached only by taking the northbound on-ramp from North Marine Drive.For more information go to the project website.
Information provided by Oregon Department of Transportation.