
Interim Chief McCabe currently serves as the chief administrative deputy with the Clark County Sheriff’s Office
Battle Ground City Manager Erin Erdman has appointed Michael McCabe to serve in the role of interim police chief following the retirement of former Chief Mike Fort earlier this month.
Interim Chief McCabe currently serves as the chief administrative deputy with the Clark County Sheriff’s Office. His temporary appointment with the Battle Ground Police Department was approved through an interlocal agreement between the Sheriff’s Office and the city of Battle Ground on January 2. He will serve the department in a part-time capacity with the Battle Ground Police Department until a permanent replacement is selected.
Interim Chief McCabe has 34 years of law enforcement experience, 30 years of which have been with the Clark County Sheriff’s Office. He has served in a variety of administrative and management roles including police frontline operations, corrections, training, communications management, and specialty assignments such as the School Resource Officer Program, SWAT, and Crisis Negotiations Team.
“I am thankful to Clark County and to Sheriff Horch for the assistance during this time of transition for the city of Battle Ground,” City Manager Erdman said. “We welcome Interim Chief McCabe. With his extensive knowledge, skills, and familiarity with our community, I am confident he will help make this transition as smooth as possible for the Department and the city.”
“The Clark County Sheriff’s Office and city of Battle Ground have always had a strong relationship and we understand that we are all part of one community, regardless of jurisdictional boundaries,” said Sheriff John Horch. “We are always willing to help our partnering police agencies when asked. We know that Chief Michael McCabe will do an excellent job as interim chief while the city finalizes its official selection.”
The City is currently in the process of selecting the permanent police chief. A nationwide search was conducted by GMP Consultants and interviews with five top candidates took place on December 8. One candidate is currently in the background phase of the hiring process.
Information provided by the city of Battle Ground.
Also read:
- Opinion: Interstate Bridge replacement – the forever projectJoe Cortright argues the Interstate Bridge Replacement Project could bring tolling and traffic disruptions on I-5 through the mid-2040s.
- 2026 Columbia River spring Chinook seasons announcedWashington and Oregon fishery managers approved 2026 Columbia River spring Chinook seasons, with a forecast of 147,300 upriver fish and specific fishing windows from March through early May.
- Opinion: Make your voice heard about the majority party’s state income tax proposalRep. John Ley outlines his opposition to Senate Bill 6346 and urges residents to participate in the February 24 public hearing before the House Finance Committee.
- A late starter in her sports, Clark College athlete is excelling in basketball and track and fieldClark College’s Emily Peabody, a late starter in basketball and track, now leads the NWAC in scoring and is a conference champion sprinter.
- Letter: County Council resolution ‘strong on rhetoric, weak on results’Peter Bracchi calls on the Clark County Council to withdraw its ICE-related resolution and replace it with a measurable public-safety plan.
- Trump vows new tariffs, criticizes Supreme Court justices after rulingPresident Donald Trump said he will pursue new tariffs under different authorities after the Supreme Court ruled he exceeded his power under IEEPA.
- Opinion: A loss at the Supreme CourtLars Larson reacts to a Supreme Court decision limiting President Trump’s tariff authority and outlines his view of its economic impact.







