The work is part of a larger traffic improvement project on Mill Plain between SE 104th Ave and Chkalov Blvd
VANCOUVER — A heads up if you use East Mill Plain Boulevard near Interstate 205.
Starting tonight, and running through the morning of Sept. 26, crews will be doing paving work in the evenings and overnight that will require lane closures.
Starting Monday, Sept. 21, contractor crews for the City of Vancouver will be paving East Mill Plain from 102nd Avenue through the intersection at Chkalov Drive. Work hours are approximately 6 p.m. to 5 a.m. the next day, but are subject to change as needed based on traffic volumes.
Dates and times shown below are also subject to change, depending upon weather, construction conditions and other potential impacts.
Paving nightly, Monday, Sept. 21 through Saturday morning, Sept. 26! Be prepared for:
– Lane closures on Mill Plain Boulevard within the project area all week, with at least one lane of traffic open in each direction.
– Reduced speeds, signs, flaggers and equipment and crews in the construction zone.
– Tuesday, Sept. 22 – Wednesday, Sept. 23:
- Eastbound Mill Plain ramps to I-205 southbound will be closed from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- I-205 northbound ramp to eastbound Mill Plain will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
– Thursday, Sept. 24 – Friday, Sept. 25:
- I-205 southbound off-ramp to Mill Plain will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- I-205 northbound off-ramp to westbound Mill Plain will be closed from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Mill Plain on-ramp to I-205 northbound will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Westbound Mill Plain on-ramp to I-205 southbound will closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Mill Plain from 104th Avenue to Chkalov is one of the City’s busiest travel corridors. During the upcoming paving, drivers are encouraged to plan ahead and leave additional time to reach their destinations. If possible, please take another route and avoid this section of Mill Plain Boulevard during evening and night time paving hours, Sept. 21-26.
Long-awaited paving on this project, which had been delayed earlier this year due to COVID-19 impacts, marks a major step toward its coming completion. The paving is occurring now to prevent further project delays from fall and winter weather. For additional information about the City’s East Mill Plain Boulevard project, please visit www.cityofvancouver.us/MIllPlain-104.
Increased traffic congestion is also anticipated throughout the Vancouver and north Portland area as a result of the Sept.19-27 closure of the I-5 Interstate Bridge’s northbound span to replace the mechanical parts that lift and lower the bridge. That Oregon Department of Transportation and Washington Department of Transportation project was delayed a week in order to keep highways clear for evacuations and emergency personnel related to wildfires throughout the region. Learn more about the Interstate Bridge Project here.
The city of Vancouver contributed to this report