Event considered a ‘First Friday favorite’
CAMAS — Gnome and fairy themed fun will be highlighted at May’s First Friday in Downtown Camas in honor of the Camas Plant & Garden Fair coming the next week. The First Friday theme is “Gnome & Fairy Gala” with gnome and fairy activities and crafts, 3 ribbon cuttings, art shows and receptions, live music, games, toadstool and mini-pot hunts, treats, prize drawings and more. The event is May 3rd from 5-8 p.m.
In participating locations, those in attendance can play the family friendly Garden Gnome & Fairy Gala game and find the ever popular gnomes and fairies getting into mischief throughout downtown businesses. Earn tickets to win prizes for each gnome and fairy you find. Start at the DCA tables at Journey Church, 304 NE 4th, to pick up your activity list for the night.
Other activities will include:
- Find the fairy houses throughout the downtown landscaping and feed the fairies. Each child will be given a little bag of treats to share with the fairies.
- Find the Toadstool Game sponsored by Carla Edwards, Realtor
- S’MORES sponsored by IQ Credit Union
- Norris Arts will hide pottery Mini-pots throughout downtown Camas businesses for the finders to keep
- Free May Day flower baskets provided by Camas Methodist Church
- Ribbon Cuttings and Open House Celebrations for: Coventry Gardens of London (602 NE 3rd) at 5 p.m.; Envyago MediSpa (602 NE 3rd) at 5:15 p.m.; and Fuse Cycle + Barre (321 NE 4th) at 5:30 p.m.
- Get your picture taken with Mr. & Mrs. Gnome. There will be fun props for selfies and photo ops.
- Dress up with the theme and earn a ticket to win prizes
- Free gnome and fairy airbrush face painting by Mandi Straub and Ian Needham of mandi MOON artistry in front of Journey. They’ll be dressed as garden gnomes for photo ops as well.
- Gnome and Fairy Kids’ Crafts and games at the DCA tables in Journey Church
- Art gallery shows and receptions with refreshments and live music at:
- Attic Gallery, 421 NE Cedar, with featured painter C.W. Potzz
- Camas Gallery, 408 NE 4th, with Different Strokes: Collaboration Painting with local artists Anna Norris and Heidi Jo Curley. The artists will start off with blank canvases, work for 15 minutes and then switch and work on each others piece.
- Second Story Gallery, 625 NE 4th (upstairs library), with double artist show with painter Mary Chant and sculptor Marilyn Slaby. Live music by Rob Lewis.
- After hours shopping and specials; receive a ticket to win for every $10 spent in downtown that night.
“This is a First Friday favorite!” says Carrie Schulstad, director for the DCA. “Come enjoy the fun activities that both young and old love. We’ll have games, crafts, treats, photo ops, dual art painting (amazing to watch!), pop-up shops and more and we’ll also have three Ribbon Cuttings celebrating new businesses in downtown. It’s going to be a festive night in Downtown Camas!”
First Fridays are family-friendly Art, Activities, Dining, and After Hours Shopping events coordinated by the DCA each month of the year. For all the information, visit https://downtowncamas.com/event/gnome-fairy-gala-may-first-friday and www.facebook.com/camasfirstfriday.
Information provided by Downtown Camas Association.